No sugar - Tiramisu recipe

Leave a Comment

Sugar free baking can be a challenge. I've been off sugar since I was eighteen (so for 17 years now!!) and although I must confess I have my secret sugar moments (mostly around christmas time), I can say that I feel much happier and healthier without the white and refined enemy ;-)

Around me more and more people are looking for an alternative to satisfy their sweet tooth and as a bit of an expert (I think I am allowed to claim this title after 17 years, haha!) I will share with you my favorite recipe for tiramisu (Imke, this is for you!) that has even proved itself with sugar eating friends.

Note: It does contain palm sugar, which technically is a sugar BUT... it is not a refined sugar and it is known for being low glycemic. This means it will not give you that peak in your sugar levels (and after that a dramatic low), so it will not make you feel tired and horrible.

Ok, the recipe:

Ingredients
- 3 egg yolks
- 100-120 grams (depending on how sweet you like your tiramisu) Arenga palm sugar
- 180 grams of mascarpone
- 3 dl whipped cream
- 5 dl strong coffee (made with instant coffee, strangely enough gives the best taste), cooled down
- 2 tblsp dark rum*
- about 3/4 pack of wholegrain sugar free biscuits (I use organic spelt biscuits)
- about 2 tblsp of pure cocoa powder 

whip the egg yolks with the palm sugar untill it looks smooth and fluffy and all sugar is dissolved.
Stirr the mascarpone in another bowl and then add it to the yolks and sugar mixture.
Now add the whipped cream and 'fold' (do not stirr it to enthusiastic or you'll make the mixture too runny. It needs to stay firm) in gently into the mixture.

Add the rum to the coffee. Now take a large ceramic or glass baking dish (round or square, doesn't matter) and spread a layer (about 1 cm thick) of the mascarpone mixture in the tray.
Soak the biscuits one at a time into the coffee (they should be soaked but not fall apart) and put them, close together on top of the mascarpone layer.
Repeat this untill your tray is filled to the top.

Put the tiramisu in the fridge for at least 3 hours (I find it tasting even better after one night in the fridge). Sprinkle the cocoa powder on top before serving. Enjoy!


* please know that rum is made from sugarcane so if you're following a strict sugar free diet, skip the rum



0 comments:

Post a Comment

all content on this blog © Kim Welling unless stated otherwise. Powered by Blogger.