Museum #2

2 comments


   
   I read on the website of the Gemeente Museum in the The Hague, there was and 
   exhibition of Alexander Calder's work and decided to, as I was close anyway (see 
   previous post), pay a visit to that as well. When arrived I found out that I misread 
   and the exhibition was upcomming on the 11th of februari, I was too soon! Well, 
   I just had to entertain myself with their other shows.

   Then a curious thing happened... I must confess I've never warmed to artists like
   Mondriaan or Rietveld (I know I know, very not done to say this!), I just didn't 
   get all those boring squares and rectangles in too bright colors. Untill I stepped 
   into a museum room fully dedicated to De Stijl, I suddenly saw the beauty in 
   those arranged shapes! And also other artists who had a more 'lose' interpretation 
   of this modernism, like Bart van der Leck and Vilmoz Huszar with his 
   mechanische dansfiguur. So beautiful how artists back then started to experiment 
   and go out of their comfort zone to create this new way of thinking and art form. 
   I admire their dedication and confidence to rethink and reshape the 'old things'.

   The museum also had a exhibition about miniatures, doll houses and sorts. 
   Although it was a bit crowded with 'older ladies' it was very well exhibited and 
   I enjoyed it very much.

   I hope you'll have a exciting and creative weekend. On monday we'll start the 
   blog-week with an interview with illustrator Rob Hodgson!

2 comments:

  1. Ha, ja naar deze ben ik ook geweest. En wanneer gaan we naar het Mauritshuis? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super! Ik werk nu aan mijn eindopdracht voor cultuurkennis en die gaat in mijn geval over... modernisme :-) Ik surf meteen even door naar de site van het Gemeentemuseum!
    Groetjes!

    ReplyDelete

all content on this blog © Kim Welling unless stated otherwise. Powered by Blogger.